Friday, November 30, 2012

Say what? #3

"I think everyone shares a fear of failure - that you're only as good as your most recent collection. That's definitely a fear, but it's a fear that fuels me, that makes me want to work harder, that makes me take on more challenges."

- Alexander Wang, fashion designer


Today we learned that, after all the speculation, Alexander Wang is really going to be the next designer of Balenciaga. Honestly, I am still surprised. Wang's very street style approach is really different from the experimental, conceptual aesthetics that Nicolas Ghesquière got us used to. Obviously, PPR, Balenciaga's owner, wants this brand to move into a different direction. 

Alexander Wang is used to success. Not only is he a talented designer, he is also a really smart, attentive businessman. On the other hand, Balenciaga is a house with a lot of history that was masterfully reinvented by Ghesquière, who became one of the most respected designers of our days. 

Having said this, I am really looking forward to what Alexander Wang will do at Balenciaga and to see how he will combine his aesthetics with the Balenciaga heritage.

No comments: